I just became the Foursquare mayor of my local liquor vending establishment, so I feel like I should give back to the community a little bit. With all that’s going on in the Texas lege right now in terms of de- and under-funding vital programs at the expense of our state’s most vulnerable populations, I figure we could all use a damned drink.
So here is a damned drink: the Michelada. It is one of my favorites, and it’s a Mexican/Tex-Mex/Texas classic.
- Fill a tall tumbler glass with ice
- Fill to half with Clamato Picante.
- Add several dashes (depending on your spice tolerance) Tabasco sauce.
- I like to add a healthy dash of a smoky-pepper sauce, just for fun. Like this one from Sgt. Pepper.
- Add a half-jigger of lemon juice. Can be that kind from in the bottle if you must. No problem.
- Toss in a bunch of sea salt. Like, several pinches or something.
- Squeeze in juice of half a fresh lime (seriously don’t use the bottled stuff with limes, it is not worth it), saving a wedge for garnish.
- Fill to brim with Mexican beer–I like Modelo Especial.
- Garnish with that lime wedge and a straw so you can stir up all the deliciousness.
- Enjoy on a patio somewhere.