I just want to say this now, because I’m going to say a lot more about it next week, and because the debate rages on: I spent a half-hour this morning on the phone to Federally Qualified Health Centers–the ones anti-choicers keep telling me I should go to for my reproductive health care needs, because what Texas women need to be doing is taking medical advice from religious ideologues–trying to get an appointment for a pap smear. There’s one a half hour away that might be able to get me in sometime in May if I call them back at the end of the month. Planned Parenthood could get me in this afternoon.
ANYWAY HERE IS SOME NEWS.
- In light of that first paragraph up there, this amuses: Rick Santorum told a bunch of people in Amarillo last night that Planned Parenthood doesn’t provide quality health care.
- Super creep factor: a West Texas man has been found guilty of carrying around a “rape kit.” As in, kidnapping gear, lube and condoms, and hanging out outside a dance school.
- A 26-year-old former high school teacher from near Houston has been accused of soliciting a 15-year-old boy online for sex.
- Laura Bush really doesn’t want you to forget about Afghan women.
- A Burleson, TX man and “passive” abuser has been granted an in-home HVAC repair license.
- Texas capital punishment officials changed execution drugs and procedure behind closed doors and may have illegally obtained chemicals. Now there are many, many lawsuits.
- Anti-sodomy laws are unconstitutional, so why does Texas continue to criminalize homosexuality?
- NPR takes on the media’s response to the Cleveland gang rape.
- Out on the gay bar scene in Dallas? You may meet a Sister of Perpetual Indulgence.
- Because proudly ignorant toxic masculinity so lacks a mainstream media outlet, D-FW’s CBS station presents: “The Mancave Daily.”