I choose to live in Dallas. Not like in the, “I’m from here, I could move to Fort Worth if I wanted to” kind of way, but in the I-have-lived-on-the-East-Coast-and-abroad-and-even-in-Austin-and-I-still-choose-Dallas kind of way.
I love this city. Part of that love is manifest in the degree to which I passionately make fun of it. Because I want it to be great–greater than it is–I’m happy to take it to task when it disappoints. That said, I’d be remiss in not advising anyone visiting Dallas this weekend, for the Super Bowl or otherwise, of the truly fantastic shit this city has to offer.
Things What You Will Want To Check Out In Dallas If You Are Young And Vaguely Hip And Probably Not Real Rich.
- Spend Friday or Saturday night on Elm Street in our artsyfartsyustabeandnowisntreallyrundown Deep Ellum neighborhood. Features pub excellence of Anvil Pub (wood-grained, gazillions of beers), Texas twang of La Grange (get a boozy snow cone), divey goodness of Black Swan Saloon (order a shot of Jameson with a pickle back).
- Also in Deep Ellum: eat the enchiladas with chipotle wine sauce at Pepe & Mito’s.
- Order one of the best greasy burgers in Texas at the Lakewood Landing.
- Eat brunch at Hattie’s in the Bishop Arts District, because the chicken and waffles will change your life.
- Actually, just hang out and shop and drink coffee in Bishop Arts.
- Watch the sunset over the skyline at Bar Belmont, then walk over and eat some of the best barbeque in Texas at Smoke next door.
- Downtown, get the pulled pork sandwich and hear local music at City Tavern.
- BUY SOME SHIT: Dolly Python and Lula B’s for vintage, We Are 1976 for great design, Jimmy’s Italian Food Store, Buffalo Exchange.
- Why do we have so many good Irish pubs? Trinity Hall, Molly Maguire’s, The Dubliner, Idle Rich. Go to all of them and find out.
- Adair’s honky tonk is the most divey, most Texas, most excellent.
- We’ve got a gayborhood, and damn, it is one hell of a gayborhood.
- Station 4 is where you will want to be doing most of your dancing, gay or otherwise.
- Have you had tacos before? Yeah? Well, you haven’t, actually, if you haven’t been to El Si Hay.
- DIVES DIVES DIVES: The Goat, Tradewinds, Ship’s Lounge, Winedale Tavern, Dallasite, Windmill Lounge.
- Expo Park is where we have the State Fair in the fall and where we go to look at art and drink the rest of the year: Amsterdam Bar, Meridian Room.
Most of all, here’s what you don’t do: don’t go to anything that qualifies as an “ultra lounge.” Don’t eat Mexican food if it looks like the place might pass health inspection. Don’t visit any urban enclave that ends in “Park,” as in: Highland, University. Don’t spend more than an hour in Uptown. Don’t go to the mall, any mall, even though one of them has an H&M, and I am not telling you which one.
And if someone tells you to check out the NFL Experience, punch them in the face.
(Dallasites! Post your own recs in the comments, please.)